In keeping with the Halloween season, the European Super League is rising from the dead once again.
The project’s newly hired CEO Bernd Reichart said the league will launch within three years. Reichart — who previously worked at German media company RTL Deutschland — now helms A22 Sports Management, the corporate entity continuing to pursue the Super League.
- Reichart’s hiring, announced Wednesday, was a sign that backers of the league had not given up on the project.
- The proposed midweek competition for elite European teams fell apart within 48 hours of its announcement in April 2021 but is still backed by Juventus, Barcelona, and Real Madrid.
- “There is a broad consensus that football needs reform,” said Reichart, assailing the sport’s financial model. “Football cannot continue as it is designed now.”
It isn’t yet clear if the revamped league will give out cash comparable to the initial effort, which offered up $3.4 billion in entry bonuses and winner’s prize of around $392.3 million.
A22 is awaiting judgment from the European Court of Justice on whether the UEFA can punish the breakaway clubs before launching the league.
A central criticism of the original project was that teams were guaranteed a place in the tournament, regardless of past performance.
“The concept of a fixed placement is not something that we are currently considering,” said Reichart. “Sporting merit will be applied to all members of that Super League.”