Thursday, August 20, 2026

DOE Issues More Guidance on Title IX Application to Athlete Pay

Each revenue-sharing payment doesn’t have to be equal. But in aggregate, financial assistance has to be proportionate.

Nebraska's Rebekah Allick, right, lunges to pass the ball during a Big Ten volleyball match against Penn State at Rec Hall on Friday, Nov. 29, 2024, in State College, Pa.
Imagn Images

On Friday, the Department of Education issued additional details on how Title IX, the federal statute that governs gender equity in college sports, would apply to revenue-sharing payments that schools may begin offering athletes if the House v. NCAA settlement is approved. 

The letter, addressed to Rep. Lori Trahan (D., Mass.) and reviewed by Front Office Sports, said each payment didn’t have to be worth the same amount of money. But schools are still obligated to provide a similar amount of aggregate financial assistance for both men’s and women’s sports athletes based on the number of athletes in their athletic department.

“The regulations do not require the same number of awards for male and female student-athletes or that individual awards be of equal value,” the letter said. But it added: “When evaluating a school’s compliance with the Title IX regulations, [the Office for Civil Rights] assesses whether the total amount of athletic financial assistance made available by the school to men and women is substantially proportionate to the number of students of each sex participating in interscholastic or intercollegiate athletics at that school.

The letter supplements a memo released by the DOE’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) on Thursday, which said NIL deals offered from schools to players would count as athletic financial assistance. Because of that, revenue-sharing payments would be required to be “proportionate” to men and women athletes to be compliant with Title IX. However, the first memo did not elaborate on what “proportionate” meant.  

The two documents have major implications for the future of college sports, especially if the House v. NCAA settlement is approved and implemented in July. The settlement would allow all Division I athletic departments to begin sharing up to $20.5 million in revenue with all the players in their athletic department. As schools have begun preparing for the settlement to be approved, they’ve also started releasing plans for how they would distribute the funds. 

The vast majority have said they expect to distribute most of the money to football players—but according to the Department of Education’s new guidance, that may not be legal unless schools can adjust their financial aid formulas. 

Many expected the Department of Education’s OCR to wait until after the settlement had been approved to issue this guidance, a source familiar with the matter told FOS on Thursday. But it was encouraged to provide the guidance sooner, given how many schools have begun to say they would prioritize paying men’s basketball players and football players more than women athletes. (In some cases, athletic departments said they would give 75% of the $20 million to the football team.) 

Another factor: the changing political winds brought by the next administration. President Biden’s Education Department issued this guidance right before leaving office. President-elect Donald Trump will take office Monday, and his administration is not expected to be strict on Title IX enforcement. It could even retract or rewrite the memo, though Title IX expert attorney Arthur Bryant told FOS on Friday he doesn’t believe Trump will be able to do so.

Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have already released conflicting statements about the memo. Rep. Trahan, for example, voiced her support: “As the landscape of college sports evolves, one principle remains unchanged: schools have a clear obligation under Title IX to provide equal opportunities for women and men athletes alike,” she said in a statement Friday. “The Department of Education’s guidance reinforces that commitment and ensures that fairness and equal opportunity remain at the heart of college athletics.”

But Sen. Ted Cruz (R., Texas)—who is expected to lead efforts to legislate athlete compensation rules in the next Congress—trashed the DOE’s guidance. “This is a great idea if Biden’s intent is to kill both men’s and women’s college sports,” he said in a statement Friday. “Mandating so-called equal pay when not all sports generate equal revenue will force some colleges out of athletics altogether. Everyone wants to be paid like Michael Jordan, but that’s not the way the world works.”

Cruz said the Department of Education’s guidance will “die on Jan. 20th.” But the wheels of bureaucracy could take longer to turn. Until Trump’s administration says otherwise, schools must alter their plans for revenue-sharing in a post-House world.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Judge: Players Can Go From NFL Training Camp Back to College

The ruling stemmed from a lawsuit challenging the NCAA’s new eligibility model.
Jan 18, 2025; Atlanta, GA, USA; Greg McElroy during 2025 CFP National Championship Media Day at Georgia World Congress Center, Building A. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

Greg McElroy Talks SEC vs. Big Ten Debate, Next Top Coaches

The ex-Alabama QB is entering his 13th season with ESPN.
Emory Eagles guard Ben Pearce (10) passes around Mary Washington Eagles forward Jay Randall (11) on Sunday, April 5, 2026, during the NCAA DIII men's basketball championship game at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Division III Basketball Star Sues NCAA for 5th Year of Eligibility

If the case is successful, thousands more NCAA athletes could receive eligibility.
Oct 6, 2025; Charlotte, NC, USA; SMU player Kyla Deck answers questions from the media at The Hilton Charlotte Uptown.

SMU Women’s Basketball Player Sues NCAA Over Transfer Restrictions

It could set a precedent for more challenges to NCAA transfer restrictions.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/20/26 -McAfee Joins ESPN’s ‘MNC,’ Walter’s $17B Problem, Bueckers-Fudd Go Public

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.
First at FOS

Snapback Sports Gets Patch Deal With Sam Houston State, With Perks

It’s just the second patch deal secured by a Conference USA school.
August 13, 2026

Jayden Daniels Sets Off Firestorm at LSU Over Jersey Number

The Commanders quarterback sent LSU a cease-and-desist letter for using his NIL.
Exclusive
August 14, 2026

Tarleton State Wants to Jump to the FBS

The Texans are having conversations about how to reach the next level.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
First at FOS
August 13, 2026

Illinois’s $30M Busey Bank Deal: Exec Road Trips, Player Job Pipeline

The jersey patch deal is part of an overall $30 million sponsorship.
North Carolina Tar Heels guard Seth Trimble (7) drives to the basket Thursday, March 19, 2026, during the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament first round game against the VCU Rams at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina.
August 12, 2026

Athletes Capitalizing As NCAA Fights to Overturn New Eligibility Ruling

An appeals court will consider whether to pause the initial ruling.
Mar 21, 2026; Orlando, Florida, USA; Orlando Magic guard Desmond Bane (3) reacts after a play against the Los Angeles Lakers in the fourth quarter at Kia Center. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images
August 11, 2026

Desmond Bane Wants College Basketball to Add a Salary Cap

Bane is TCU’s chief basketball officer.
Inside NCAA Headquarters located in Indianapolis on Friday, March 10, 2023. Ncaa President Charlie Baker
August 11, 2026

NCAA Loses First Appeal of Class of 2022 Eligibility Injunction

The NCAA lost its first battle to get the ruling overturned.