Thursday December 7, 2023

DirecTV Becomes Standalone Company After AT&T Spinoff

  • AT&T completed its spinoff of DirecTV, as it continues to reorganize.
  • Private equity firm TPG is taking a 30% stake in DirecTV.
Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports/Design: Alex Brooks
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

AT&T completed a big component of its wholesale restructuring by finalizing the spinoff of DirecTV, which returned to being a separate company on Monday.

The new entity combines DirecTV, AT&T, and U-verse to offer a wide range of channels including ESPN, Fox Sports, MLB Network, NBA TV, TBS, and TNT

The latter two’s NBA broadcasts were key to WarnerMedia’s strong second quarter. AT&T is in the process of spinning off WarnerMedia in a $43 billion merger with Discovery.

  • AT&T received $7.1 billion in cash from the DirecTV spinoff, including $1.8 billion from private equity firm TPG. TPG took a 30% stake in the new DirecTV. AT&T owns the other 70%.
  • DirecTV borrowed $5.8 billion as part of the transaction. Previous reports said that the company was selling $3.1 billion in junk bonds to facilitate the spinoff.

The move ends a saga that began with AT&T’s $48 billion acquisition of DirecTV in 2015. Since then, the service lost 40.8% of its subscriber base, which dropped from 26 million six years ago to 15.4 million today.

AT&T is already making moves to establish a different role in the content provider space. In July, it inked a deal worth at least $5 billion to be Dish Network’s primary network services provider.

Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

DSG Bankruptcy Woes Deepen With DirecTV Fee Dispute

Bankrupt RSN operator now takes aim at satellite TV carrier
Nick Saban highest paid college football head coach.

Who Is Highest-Paid Coach in College Football?

Saban remains atop highest-paid head coaches getting over $11 million annually.

NHL’s Chris Foster on Amplifying Content Distribution With Automation

Learn how the NHL is using WSC Sports to increase fan engagement.

How Daktronics Helps Elite Athletic Programs Secure Top Talent

How colleges are utilizing Daktronics' displays to elevate recruiting.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

Why the NBA May Have Made Billions With Midseason Tournament


Featured Today

The College Football Playoff is considering rotating TV networks for the national championship game.

CFP Considers Super Bowl-Like Rotation For National Championship Game

Multiple networks could share rights to the championship game, sources told FOS.
Brett Favre
November 27, 2023

Favre Welfare Case Hold-Up? "AG’s Office Has Not Expressed Interest In Pursuing"

The DOJ interviewed Brett Favre in early 2020.
The future of the Pac-12 rests on a court decision.
November 24, 2023

The Pac-12 Plays Its Final Regular-Season Game. Then A Court Decides Its Fate.

The conference's future rests with a court decision.
Lane Kiffin
November 9, 2023

Ole Miss, Lane Kiffin Lawyers Argue for Dismissal of Player Lawsuit

FOS obtained audio of Lane Kiffin's interaction with the player behind lawsuit.


Powered By

Careers in Sports

Looking for a new job? Check out these featured listings and search for openings all over the world.
Multiple Locations
Multiple Locations
Creative Artists Agency
Multiple Locations
Jon Rahm

LIV Golf’s Signing of Jon Rahm Further Complicates Partnership Negotiations

The world's third-ranked golfer appears on the way to joining LIV Golf's roster.
A view of a 1914 Baeb Ruth rookie card in a protective casing from the Sportscard Guaranty Company.
December 4, 2023

Babe Ruth Rookie Card Sets Player Record at $7.2M

It’s the most expensive piece of Babe Ruth memorabilia ever sold.
Shaun White Josh Harris
December 6, 2023

Josh Harris Doubles Down on Sports as an Asset Class with Latest Investment

Shaun White is partnering with Washington Commanders owners Josh Harris and David Blitzer to purchase an action sports camp.

NHL’s Chris Foster on Amplifying Content Distribution With Automation

Learn how the NHL is using WSC Sports to increase fan engagement.
PFL Bellator
November 20, 2023

PFL Completes Acquisition of Bellator, Readies to Challenge UFC

“Today, the MMA market changed,” PFL Founder Donn Davis said.
November 14, 2023

German Soccer Pushing $1.1B Rights Deal To Private Equity Investors

Governing body mounting third attempt for outside investment
CAA logo on side on building
November 13, 2023

CAA Forms Sports-Focused Investment Bank In Continued Expansion Push

Powerhouse agency looks to further expand dealmaking capabilities
Mercedes-AMG Petronas driver George Russell drives on the track during the Formula One Las Vegas Grand Prix Launch Party at Las Vegas Strip.
November 10, 2023

Ticket, Hotel Prices Plummet As Las Vegas GP Nears

Lack of competitive drama for F1 event fuels market crash