Thursday, May 21, 2026
Law

Court Again Rejects NFL Request to Send Flores Case to Arbitration

Brian Flores and other Black coaches are suing the NFL alleging racial discrimination in hiring practices.

Brian Flores
Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

The NFL lost again in the Brian Flores racial discrimination case Monday.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit denied a request by the NFL and its teams for a full court review of an August decision that sided with Flores and said that his claims against three teams must be heard in open court. A three-judge panel had ruled in August that Flores’s claims against the Giants, Broncos, and Texans cannot be forced into NFL-controlled arbitration, but his case against the Dolphins can.

The league has lost several high-profile legal disputes over arbitration recently, including in its fight against former coach Jon Gruden, who has also fought for several years to keep his case out of arbitration.

Flores, who is currently the Vikings defensive coordinator, filed a class action suit in 2022 against the NFL, Giants, Broncos, and Dolphins claiming racial discrimination in the league’s interview and hiring processes as well as during his tenure as head coach in Miami. Shortly after the initial filing, the Texans were added as defendants, and former coaches Steve Wilks and Ray Horton joined as plaintiffs. (Wilks is now defensive coordinator for the Jets.) The league denied some of Flores’s claims at the time, but investigated others. The NFL ultimately found Dolphins owner Stephen Ross and vice chairman Bruce Beal had violated the league’s anti-tampering policy with Tom Brady and Sean Payton, fined them, and took away draft picks.

The case has dragged out as the NFL has tried to force it into arbitration. In 2023, a judge ruled that Flores had to take his claims against the Dolphins into arbitration, as was dictated by the contract he signed with the team, but could pursue his case against the NFL and other teams—which never employed him—in open court. The August ruling by the three-judge panel upheld that decision, and Monday’s order denied wider review of it. A spokesperson for the NFL declined to comment on the latest development. After the three-judge panel decision in August, the league said: “We respectfully disagree with the panel’s ruling, and will be seeking further review.” Flores’s attorney also declined to comment on Monday’s decision.

Flores has also fought the 2023 decision pushing his claims against the Dolphins into arbitration. Flores, Wilks, and Horton filed for reconsideration last month, arguing the NFL’s arbitration process was flawed and at a “complete standstill” because of the league’s stalling since November 2024. The NFL-appointed arbitrator then tried to pick things back up, which led to Flores’s attorneys asking the court to stay the process and claimed the arbitrator, Peter Harvey, has “bias on behalf of the NFL’s interests.”

The NFL also requested for the Nevada Supreme Court to rehear its August decision to allow Gruden’s case to proceed in court instead of arbitration. The court unanimously rejected that request on Thursday. The court found that the NFL’s policy is “unconscionable”, in part, because commissioner Roger Goodell can arbitrate disputes about his own actions. Gruden resigned from his job as head coach of the Raiders in 2021 when emails leaked containing racist, misogynistic, and anti-gay slurs from his time as an ESPN analyst. The former coach claims the league and Goodell leaked the emails in order to ruin his career.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

exclusive

World Cup Will Block Notorious Dallas Glare for At Least One Game

FIFA will use the curtains for a 6 p.m. kickoff match this summer.

Political Sparring Intensifies Over Bears’ $5B Stadium Future

The stadium saga is the center of a growing political fight.

NFL Pushes Back on Criticism Over TV and Streaming Deals

The league remains steadfast in its overall media approach.

NFL Moves Closer to 10 International Games—and Could Hit 11

The league builds out further its international scheduling plans.

Featured Today

NFL Rivalries Are Made on the Field, Mocked in Schedule Release Videos

Every year, teams find new ways to one-up themselves (and their rivals).
Bart Swings/Falyn Fonoimoana/Avery Poppinga
May 14, 2026

OnlyFans Is Paying Pro Athletes What Their Sports Won’t

The adult-content platform is a reliable income source for niche athletes.
May 13, 2026

How Sports Graphic Designers Are Grappling With the Rise of AI Art

The release of ChatGPT 2.0 Images sparked a conversation among sports designers.
May 12, 2026

Collectible Cups Are Sending Sports Fans Into a Frenzy

The drink is secondary to the wild vessel it comes in.
Mar 16, 2025; Chester, Pennsylvania, USA; Competitive eater Joey Chestnut entertains fans during the game between the Philadelphia Union and Nashville SC at Subaru Park.

Nathan’s Hot Dog Contest Won’t Punish Chestnut After Guilty Plea

Chestnut was charged for misdemeanor battery at an Indiana bar.
May 18, 2026

Nike Under Fire Amid Growing Wave of Tariff Refund Lawsuits

Adidas and Lululemon also face proposed class actions from consumers.
May 19, 2026

Brian Flores Subpoenas Dozens of Teams As NFL Lawsuit Grows

The Vikings assistant is now seeking records from 31 teams.
Sponsored

Mark Cuban Peels Back the Curtain

Mark Cuban discusses sports ownership, the rise of NIL, and the evolving media landscape.
May 14, 2026

Tennis Lawsuit Sparks Courtroom Fight Over Grand Slam Credentials

Wimbledon and the French Open denied credentials to the PTPA.
May 11, 2026

NBA Cut Out Middleman From Lucrative Emirates Deal: Lawsuit

The NBA denies it had an agreement with Paul Edalat.
Mar 9, 2026; Tuscaloosa, AL, USA; Bowlero has rebranded itself as Lucky Strike. It is in the same location new to the mall on McFarland Blvd.
May 7, 2026

Lawsuit Claims Lucky Strike Built Bowling Monopoly

The company has allegedly caused bowling prices to triple in some cases.
Oct 8, 2025; Phoenix, Arizona, USA; Professional boxer Floyd Mayweather attends the game between the Las Vegas Aces and the Phoenix Mercury for game three of the 2025 WNBA Finals at PHX Arena.
May 6, 2026

Floyd Mayweather Jr. Calls Off $100M Legal Fight With Business Insider

The boxer voluntarily dismissed his lawsuit.