Monday, May 18, 2026

FIFA President Backpedals From Biennial Proposal For Men’s World Cup 

  • FIFA president Gianni Infantino has backpedaled from plans to hold the men’s World Cup every two years.
  • On Thursday, Infantino said the previous FIFA congress had merely agreed to “study the feasibility” of a biennial World Cup.
FIFA
FIFA

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has backpedaled from plans to hold the men’s World Cup every two years, rather than every four years.

On Thursday, Infantino said that a proposal hasn’t been made — instead, the previous FIFA congress had merely agreed to “study the feasibility” of a biennial World Cup.

Now, there will be a “phase to find the grievance and to find the compromises,” he told the FIFA Congress.

  • Previously, Infantino had claimed a biennial World Cup would generate $4.4 billion.
  • Another report found it would cost UEFA and other big soccer leagues close to $9 billion per year.

Infantino’s comments follow several strong protests. In early March, UEFA president Aleksander Čeferin said the proposal was “a no-go for everyone in football.” And in February, a survey of 1,000 players found that only a quarter would support the project.

Alternative Options

Innovation around international soccer competition isn’t completely off the table, however. 

Čeferin has suggested an annual competition between the Copa America champions and European champions. FIFA vice president Victor Montagliani also suggested alterations to the Confederations Cup or Nations League.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Featured Today

NFL Rivalries Are Made on the Field, Mocked in Schedule Release Videos

Every year, teams find new ways to one-up themselves (and their rivals).
Bart Swings/Falyn Fonoimoana/Avery Poppinga
May 14, 2026

OnlyFans Is Paying Pro Athletes What Their Sports Won’t

The adult-content platform is a reliable income source for niche athletes.
May 13, 2026

How Sports Graphic Designers Are Grappling With the Rise of AI Art

The release of ChatGPT 2.0 Images sparked a conversation among sports designers.
May 12, 2026

Collectible Cups Are Sending Sports Fans Into a Frenzy

The drink is secondary to the wild vessel it comes in.

Nashville’s New $2.1B Stadium Expected to Land 2030 Super Bowl

Team owners will vote on future Super Bowl and NFL Draft locations.
May 18, 2026

NBA Conference Finals Show How Modern Title Contenders Are Built

The Knicks and Cavs have the league’s two most expensive rosters.
Dec 12, 2021; Nashville, Tennessee, USA; Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer on the sidelines against the Tennessee Titans during the second half at Nissan Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Steve Roberts-USA TODAY Sports
May 18, 2026

Jaguars Win $30M Contract Dispute Against Urban Meyer

The Jaguars fired Meyer for cause in 2021.
Sponsored

Volpe Brings Style to the Bronx

With the New York Yankees & Anthony Volpe, Charles Tyrwhitt is bringing its decades-long playbook to one of sports’ biggest stages.
May 17, 2026

Aaron Rai Stuns Golf’s Biggest Names at PGA Championship

The Englishman only had one other PGA Tour win.
Jul 10, 2021; Las Vegas, Nevada, USA; Conor McGregor fights Dustin Poirier during UFC 264 at T-Mobile Arena. Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
May 17, 2026

Conor McGregor Set for First UFC Fight in 5 Years

McGregor lost his last two fights, which each occurred in 2021.
Jan 12, 2026; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Aaron Rodgers (8) warms up before an AFC Wild Card Round game against the Houston Texans at Acrisure Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Barry Reeger-Imagn Images
May 17, 2026

Aaron Rodgers Returns to Steelers With a Big Raise

Rodgers’s one-year deal is reportedly worth up to $25 million.
Apr 2, 2026; Portland, Oregon, USA; Tom Dundon, the new owner of the Portland Trail Blazers, before a game between the Portland Trail Blazers and the New Orleans Pelicans at Moda Center. Mandatory Credit: Troy Wayrynen-Imagn Images
May 17, 2026

Tom Dundon: Blazers’ Hotel Controversy Wasn’t About Money

Dundon defended his overall approach to spending.