Read in Browser

Front Office Sports - The Memo

Morning Edition

August 19, 2026

POWERED BY

The company behind the Enhanced Games lost nearly $62 million in the second quarter, driven by the significant cost of staging its debut event in May, during which clean athletes largely outperformed those using performance-enhancing drugs. 

—Ben Horney

First Up

  • First at FOS: The production company behind LIV’s preseason event is suing the league for $1.2M. LIV has not paid eight invoices, according to the lawsuit.
  • Aryna Sabalenka’s coach spoke with FOS in an emotional interview about the financial sacrifices her team has made as she conquered the rankings. 
  • LeBron James entered the fast-growing world of YouTube Golf over the weekend, with his first video amassing more than 2 million views.
  • Pressure is mounting on FIFA president Gianni Infantino ahead of March elections, as one of his main detractors is out at soccer’s global governing body. 

Enhanced Games Parent Company Posts $62M Loss After Debut Event

Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

The company behind the Enhanced Games lost nearly $62 million in the second quarter, driven by the significant cost of staging its debut event in May. Moving forward, the business plans to put more resources toward supplements, its telehealth service, and smaller, less costly events.

Last week, Enhanced Group posted a net loss of $61.9 million on revenue of $17.7 million. The company attributes the loss to the inaugural Enhanced Games, which took place in Las Vegas in May, as well as costs associated with its special purpose acquisition company merger, a clinical trial for one of its supplements, and more.

The $61.9 million loss is more than twice the roughly $30 million that UFC parent company TKO Group said the MMA giant lost in staging its June White House show—although those figures aren’t directly comparable, because the Enhanced Group number is a companywide quarterly loss, while UFC’s reflects losses from a single event. Still, the comparison illustrates the enormous financial burden of staging major sports events. 

Enhanced Group’s results “reflect an intentional decision to invest heavily in its inaugural Enhanced Games, as the foundational platform for both its sports business and as a customer acquisition engine for its performance medicine platform,” the company said in its press release. In June, Enhanced Group said it raised $50 million in an investment led by the family office of cofounder and chairman Christian Angermayer.

The company’s cofounder and CEO Max Martin previously told Front Office Sports that planning for next year’s Enhanced Games was already underway, although no details have yet been disclosed. 

In a Monday filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Enhanced Group said its “ability to deliver successful Enhanced Games” will be the “most significant near-term determinant of future performance.” For this year’s Enhanced Games, the company secured $32 million from 10 sponsors.

Looking ahead, the company expects to put on additional smaller events, which it calls “Enhanced Breakers,” featuring athletes attempting to break world records in settings more intimate than the custom-built open-air arena at Resorts World Las Vegas where this year’s Enhanced Games were held. The first Enhanced Breakers event took place July 11 in Los Angeles.

The company is also expanding its slate of supplements and other health products, as well as its direct-to-consumer platform and telehealth division.

Enhanced Group, which is backed by billionaire investor Peter Thiel and Donald Trump Jr.’s investment firm, 1789 Capital, went public through a SPAC merger in May that valued the business at $1.2 billion. Shares have since plummeted; as of Tuesday afternoon, it was trading at $1.68 per share, down 28% over the past five days and almost 84% year-to-date. 

Still, Martin professed confidence in the business, saying in a statement issued with the second-quarter results that the company has grown into a “globally recognized sports brand” that is the “only organization to have successfully conducted a medically supervised enhanced sporting event in history.” 

The Enhanced Games faced a lot of scrutiny leading up to this year’s inaugural event. The World Anti-Doping Agency condemned the games, calling them “dangerous and irresponsible.” The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency warned that the event was “being done purely for the entertainment and shock value, with no bearing on the long-term health of the athlete.” The International Federation of Sports Medicine also criticized the Enhanced Games, with president Fabio Pigozzi saying the organization’s “grave concern” is that “young individuals will be exploited in the quest for fame and fortune and the allure of the Enhanced Games.”

A representative for Enhanced Group did not immediately respond to a request for additional comment.

SPONSORED BY 3M

Innovation Behind Every Turn

Winning takes more than speed. It takes the science behind every split-second decision. Modern motorsport depends on advances in material science that help engineers improve performance, precision, and durability under extreme conditions. Those same scientific principles are helping solve challenges across automotive, electronics, aerospace, and more. Discover how 3M is bringing innovation to life through its CF1 partnership and beyond.

ONE BIG FIG

LIV Finale Prizes Reduced

Golf - LIV Golf - United Kingdom - JCB Golf and Country Club, Uttoxeter, Britain - July 26, 2026 Legion XIII's Tyrrell Hatton hits his tee shot on the 1st hole during the final round

Action Images via Reuters/Paul Childs

$60.1 million

That’s how much prize money LIV Golf players and teams have lost out on this season, including the $30 million purse that would have been paid out at the canceled LIV Golf Louisiana event in June.

This week’s LIV Golf Indianapolis event—now the season finale, after its Michigan finale was canceled—will pay out a $10.1 million purse for its individual competition, which is just over half of the standard $20 million in individual prize money at LIV events. The winner will receive $2.02 million, about half the normal $4 million winner’s check.  

DAILY SPORTS TRIVIA

Can you rank the top five NFL players by the most combined tackles last season?

Play Factle Sports
FOS NEWS

Cavinder Twins on Building Their Empire

FOS graphic

Hanna and Haley Cavinder joined Front Office Sports to discuss launching their own wellness brand, balancing sisterhood and business as twin cofounders, investing every dollar of their NIL earnings since 2021, and more.

SPONSORED BY ELEVATE

NBC’s John Fanta on the Future of Media

John Fanta is helping define the next generation of sports media—and you can hear from him firsthand at Tuned In this fall.

Known for his energy, authenticity, and deep connection with fans, Fanta has quickly emerged as one of basketball’s most recognizable voices. After joining NBC Sports full-time in 2025, he expanded his national presence across college basketball, college football, and NBA coverage while continuing to build one of college basketball’s most engaged digital audiences.

This October, Fanta will share his perspective on the evolving role of the modern broadcaster, building authentic fan connections, and reaching audiences across every platform.

Don’t miss the insights, ideas, and conversations shaping the future of sports. Reserve your seat now before prices increase.

FOS Today  
YOUR MORNING LISTEN

Lakers family feud, NFL eyes overseas team, Knicks embarrass Nets, and more

Listen Now ›

Editors’ Picks

Colorado’s ‘Prime Effect’ Is Wearing Off for TV Networks

by Michael McCarthy
Fewer national TV broadcasts loom for Colorado following a 3–9 season.

WNBA Taps Golden State to Host 2027 All-Star Game

by Colin Salao
Chicago hosted the event this year, when it was the lone bidder.

J.J. Watt’s CBS Rise Could Reshape the NFL Analyst Pecking Order

by Michael McCarthy
Watt will serve as CBS’s top game analyst in Tony Romo’s absence.

Question of the Day

Do you think the Enhanced Games should return for a second year?

 YES   NO 

Tuesday’s result: 51% of respondents think the Buss family should sell its remaining stake in the Lakers.

Events Video Games Shop
Written by Ben Horney
Edited by Katie Krzaczek, Ben Axelrod, Catherine Chen

If this email was forwarded to you, you can subscribe here.

Update your preferences / Unsubscribe

Copyright © 2026 Front Office Sports. All rights reserved.
460 Park Avenue South, 7th Floor, New York NY, 10016

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletters

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.