Read in Browser

Front Office Sports - The Memo

Afternoon Edition

May 20, 2026


Recent reports have made it clear that Will Wade, who returned to LSU this year to coach men’s basketball, is building an international superteam in Baton Rouge. This week, the Tigers reportedly landed a pair of commitments from professionals, including Saliou Niang, who was the No. 58 pick in the 2025 NBA draft and played in Italy this past season, and RJ Luis Jr., who spent the past season in the G League. 

—Alex Schiffer

First Up

  • Sports Illustrated’s editor-in-chief stood by the publication’s standards after the site deleted an article by a writer who was accused of plagiarizing. Read the story.
  • The Bears stadium saga is now coming down to a final set of high-stakes days, with the team’s future hanging in the balance. Read the story.
  • Joey Chestnut pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery after slapping a bar patron, but he will be able to compete in Nathan’s hot dog eating contest this year. Read the story.
  • The NHL Coaches’ Association pushed back on the Golden Knights, who denied permission for fired coach Bruce Cassidy to interview with other teams. Read the story.

Will Wade’s LSU Is Pushing College Basketball to the Absolute Limit

Stephen Lew-Imagn Images

Will Wade returned to LSU earlier this year with just one player on the roster. With the transfer portal closed, the men’s basketball coach said he planned to hit the international recruiting trail hard to rebuild the squad. 

He wasn’t kidding. Recent reports have made it clear Wade is building an international superteam in Baton Rouge.

Wade was fired from LSU in 2022 for violating NCAA recruiting rules. Now, four years later, those rules are much less clear. And Wade is testing them—to the extreme. 

This week, the Tigers reportedly landed a pair of commitments from professionals in former St. John’s player RJ Luis Jr. and Saliou Niang, who was the No. 58 pick in the 2025 NBA draft and played in Italy this past season. Niang has never signed an NBA contract. 

Luis spent the past season in the G League after winning Big East Player of the Year in 2024–25 and signed a two-way contract with the Utah Jazz in June.

They join LSU’s transfer class, which reportedly includes Mo Dioubate (22, Kentucky), Abdi Bashir Jr. (22, Kansas State), Divine Ugochukwu (20, Michigan State), and 23-year-old Brazilian forward Márcio Santos, who spent the past season in the EuroLeague playing for Maccabi Tel Aviv in Israel.

Multiple Division I assistants told Front Office Sports that in an era when rules are meaningless, Wade is working the field to his advantage. 

“As long as the eligibility situation runs free, people continue to push it to the limits,” a mid-major assistant told FOS. “And with the money being thrown around, who could blame pros for coming over or trying to come back?”

LSU currently does not list a basketball roster available on its website, and school officials did not respond to requests for comment. 

The Tigers are also chasing a commitment from 25-year-old Yam Madar, an Israeli player who won the EuroCup with Hapoel Tel Aviv last year. The Boston Celtics drafted Madar in the second round six years ago, but he never played in the NBA. An Israeli outlet reported that Madar was offered $5 million to play at LSU next year. 

“Let’s Make a Judge Turn Me Down”

After Illinois made the Final Four behind their “Balkan Five,” it was clear other schools would copy them. But the extremes to which Wade is going have sent shockwaves across the sport.

“It’s different because Illinois is taking guys who are college age,” a mid-major GM told FOS. “Will Wade is taking guys who are 25. His mindset is, ‘Let’s make a judge turn me down.’”

This past college basketball season was partially defined as the year in which players came back to school. Former G League players London Johnson (Louisville) and Thierry Darlan (Santa Clara) successfully signed with college teams. Former Alabama center Charles Bediako was declared eligible by a judge weeks after playing for the Detroit Pistons’ G League team. He played five games for the Crimson Tide before his lawsuit to fully reinstate his eligibility was denied. None of those players ever played an NBA game, although Bediako briefly signed a two-way contract with the San Antonio Spurs.

Santos, at least, would likely need a lawsuit to be deemed eligible for LSU next season. The NCAA has said it will not grant eligibility to players who had signed NBA contracts, including two-way deals. 

Meanwhile, Madar’s case could be problematic if the NCAA passes its proposed “5 for 5” rule, which would give athletes five seasons to play college sports following their high school graduation or 18th birthday. Even if it passes, it could still be challenged in court. 

Madar will turn 26 in December. Madar’s eligibility situation may be aided by Israel’s military service requirement, but he served in 2021, giving him five consecutive seasons as a professional. 

European agent Miško Ražnatović represents Madar and told FOS on Tuesday that his client has “not committed” to LSU and that they’re working through his eligibility. 

One NBA scout recalled evaluating Madar years ago and projected him as a player who could get a two-way contract and might stick in the NBA as a “defensive pest.” 

College assistants expressed resignation at college basketball’s new reality, while some gave Wade credit for his approach, especially on the international side. 

Another coach told FOS that international players tend to have “cleaner” recruiting processes and don’t seek the bidding wars that U.S. players tend to. 

“There are times kids from here have changed agents or have AAU/HS/family members that feel they should have control and you never know who really has the juice,” the Power 4 assistant explained. “A lot of these international kids just let their agents handle most of the process.” 

That echoes what Ražnatović previously told FOS about not needing his clients to take official visits. 

“Why should they visit?” Ražnatović told FOS. “To see what the campus looks like? To see what the locker room looks like? This isn’t important. For any particular player, you analyze the basketball situation. If the basketball situation is good, then you go.” 

When Wade returned to LSU in March, he reportedly got a roster budget of $12 million to pay players. But if Madar’s reported $5 million offer is true, Wade is likely working with even more money. 

As the GM said to FOS, “If Will Wade could pay Naz Reid to come back and play next year, he’d do it.” 

FRONT OFFICE SPORTS LIVE

Belonging As a Business Strategy

As the world’s attention turns to the global game this summer, one thing is clear: The organizations that win aren’t just building audiences—they’re building belonging.

In sports, fandom is a blueprint for loyalty. Teams have long mastered what many industries are still chasing: how to create emotional connection at scale, design seamless experiences across every touchpoint, and turn moments into lasting relationships.

Now, those same expectations are shaping every industry.

Join us June 11 in Los Angeles for Future of Sports: The Business of Fandom.

We’ll explore how purpose-driven fandom, AI-powered personalization, and real-time infrastructure are redefining engagement—and what every business can learn from sports’s ability to turn customers into communities.

Space is limited—request to attend.

EXCLUSIVE

‘Bussin’ With the Boys’ Launching New NASCAR Show

Racin' With The Boys

Omaha Productions

Bussin’ With the Boys, a popular podcast hosted by former NFLers Taylor Lewan and Will Compton, is set to announce the launch of a new weekly NASCAR show called Racin’ With the Boys. Read the story.

ONE BIG FIG

Race to the Top

Athlos

Athlos

$2.1 million

Athlos, the women’s-only track meet founded by Alexis Ohanian, announced Tuesday it’s increasing the total prize money to more than $2.1 million, up from $773,500 in 2025. Ohanian, who cofounded Reddit, appeared on CBS Mornings and said winners will also earn equity in the league at this year’s events. Athlos, whose first meet was in 2024, will return to Icahn Stadium in New York City on Oct. 2.

SPONSORED BY CHARLES TYRWHITT

Off the Field, the Standard Stays the Same

Anthony  Volpe’s partnership with Charles Tyrwhitt extends the New York Yankees’ commitment to preparation beyond the game. The London menswear brand brings a modern approach to classic style—designed for comfort, versatility, and confidence wherever the day leads.

Easy to wear and built to move, the collection reflects how today’s athletes and professionals show up when it matters most—without overthinking it.

Explore some of Volpe’s favorite styles with limited-time savings. 

👉 Read the full article here.

LOUD AND CLEAR

Mark Cuban on Betting

Mark Cuban

Front Office Sports

“Sports betting is not the problem. Whether it’s Kalshi or traditional sports betting, it’s the prop bets that are the problem.”

—Billionaire and entrepreneur Mark Cuban told Front Office Sports in a wide-ranging interview. Prop bets—which involve putting money on specific outcomes—often tied to an individual player, have been behind the recent gambling scandals in the NBA and MLB. Read the story. 

FRONT OFFICE SPORTS LIVE

Hang Out in the Hamptons

Huddle in the Hamptons has earned its place as the season’s most coveted invitation: a sun-soaked gathering where the people shaping sports come to think, compete, and connect.

This July, Front Office Sports returns to the Hamptons for another quintessential summer Friday with official partners UBS and Opendorse.

Set against one of the East Coast’s most storied summer backdrops, the day blends wellness, candid thought leadership, and the kind of unhurried relationship-building no formal meeting can replicate.

Because some of the most important deals in sports don’t start in the boardroom—they start here.

Want to join us out East? Request to attend.

STATUS REPORT

Two Up, One Down, One Push

Jul 13, 2025; Wimbledon, United Kingdom; The trophies for the menÕs singles final on day 14 at All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.

Susan Mullane-Imagn Images

PTPA ⬇ The French Tennis Federation (FFT) and All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (AELTC) responded to the Professional Tennis Players Association’s (PTPA) demands to a federal judge to be issued credentials for the French Open and Wimbledon, which were denied to the quasi-player union. The FFT and AELTC said the New York Southern District Court, to which the PTPA made its complaint, had no jurisdiction to control the credential distribution of two non-U.S. organizations. This dispute is happening amid a lawsuit filed by the PTPA against the French Open, US Open, and Wimbledon.

PWHL San Jose ⬆ The league’s newest expansion franchise received more than 1,000 deposits of $50 for season tickets just hours after the team was announced, according to PWHL EVP of business operations Amy Scheer. The addition of PWHL San Jose makes the Bay Area just one of three U.S. regions with a PWHL, WNBA, and NWSL team, joining New York and Seattle. The new pro women’s hockey team will play its games in the Sharks’ SAP Center.

Women’s flag football ⬆ The sport, which is receiving major investment from the NFL ahead of its addition in the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics, is close to receiving NCAA championship status. At the NCAA Committee on Access, Opportunity and Impact’s spring meeting, the organization recommended that Divisions I, II, and III submit proposals to sponsor a championship by spring 2028. In January, Nebraska became the first power conference school to announce a flag football team, which will begin competition in 2028.

Canada ⬆⬇ The cost to cohost the 2026 FIFA men’s World Cup is estimated at $775 million (CAD 1.066 million), according to a new report from the country’s Parliamentary Budget Office. Canada is hosting 13 of the 104 World Cup matches, which it’s cohosting along with Mexico and the U.S. The estimated cost per game in Canada is about $60 million (CAD 82 million), based on past public spending to host World Cup events.

Editors’ Picks

Former NBA Exec Dave Checketts: Utah ‘Sold Off Their Future’ With PE Deal

by Amanda Christovich
The Utah–Otro Capital was approved by the university board in December.

DR Congo Still Set for World Cup Despite Ebola Outbreak

by Margaret Fleming
Fans, though, will be banned.

NFL Pushes Back on Criticism Over TV, Streaming Deals: ‘Model Is Working’

by Eric Fisher
The league remains steadfast in its overall media approach.
Events Video Games Shop
Written by Alex Schiffer
Edited by Lisa Scherzer, Dennis Young, Catherine Chen

If this email was forwarded to you, you can subscribe here.

Update your preferences / Unsubscribe

Copyright © 2026 Front Office Sports. All rights reserved.
460 Park Avenue South, 7th Floor, New York NY, 10016

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletters

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.