July 30, 2024

Read in Browser

Front Office Sports

POWERED BY

The Bears suffer another setback in their bid to develop a lakefront stadium. … A complex reality surrounds the Las Vegas Grand Prix as the event prepares for a second iteration. … Diamond Sports Group gets a boost in its bankruptcy organization bid through a new distribution deal with Comcast. … Front Office Sports sits down with Sky co-owner and operating chairman Nadia Rawlinson. … Plus: More on FIFA, Newcastle United, the Texans, and Reno. 

—Eric Fisher and Colin Salao

Bears Stadium Plans Take Another Hit: Governor Postpones Decision

The Indianapolis Star

The famous sports fan refrain “wait ’til next year,” often associated with MLB’s Cubs, is now taking on new meaning for another Chicago pro sports team. 

The Bears’ attempt to strike a deal for a lakefront domed stadium, already facing mounting obstacles, took another sizable hit when Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (above) said Monday it would be “near impossible” for the team to get an agreement through the state legislature this fall. Assuming that projection holds, it will be at least spring 2025 before there is any further movement there on the Bears’ proposal. 

After missing out on this past spring’s legislative session, the Bears had targeted the fall to accelerate progress on a new stadium, with the team looking for public money to cover slightly more than half of the projected $4.7 billion cost. The team has already said that every year lost to delays adds more than $150 million to that figure. 

“In reality, there isn’t a proposal on the table right now that would be acceptable to anyone that I know in the legislature,” Pritzker said. 

The governor’s comments are hardly a departure, as he called the Bears’ initial proposal in April a “nonstarter.” But the latest remarks show how little progress has been made since then. 

“I’ve done a lot of research on this topic. But let me clear: There isn’t much change,” Pritzker said. 

Power and Influence

While Pritzker was already a powerful governor of a populous state, his political star has risen further in recent weeks, giving anything he says relative to the Bears situation that much more weight. He’s been mentioned as a potential vice presidential candidate to join the campaign of expected Democratic nominee Kamala Harris, and the party’s national convention will be on his home turf, as the event is scheduled for Aug. 19–22 in Chicago.

Unlike many politicians who struggle with the complexities of pro stadium finance, Pritzker also boasts a high-level business background and is worth an estimated $3.5 billion. He’s part of the Pritzker family that controls the Hyatt hotel chain and, before entering politics, was involved in several business ventures, including a technology incubator and an investment group. His assets are now in a blind trust while he serves as governor, but those extensive holdings are seen as a complex factor during Harris’s process to select a running mate. 

Las Vegas Touts $1.5B Formula One Impact, but Reality Is Complicated

Lucas Peltier-USA TODAY Sports

At face value, it seems Formula One’s inaugural Las Vegas Grand Prix last November was a resounding success.

F1 announced the race brought an economic impact of $1.5 billion to the city—which is 50% more than what Super Bowl LVIII generated three months later. The race also pulled in 1.3 million viewers, more than the average F1 race last season, despite the 1 a.m. ET start time and both the drivers’ and constructors’ championships already clinched.

On Monday, the league announced a deal with the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority to “strengthen the relationship between F1 and Las Vegas” by the time the second iteration of the race comes around. The LVCVA is tasked with marketing Southern Nevada, so a partnership between the two sides makes sense, especially as Las Vegas and F1 are locked into a 10-year agreement that runs until 2032. 

Reality Check

The Las Vegas GP was anything but a smooth ride. 

While the city attempts to boast about the economic impacts of the race, several business owners have said they’ve been negatively impacted by the race, with one, Ellis Island Hotel and Casino, filing a lawsuit against the Las Vegas Grand Prix and Clark County in May.

“Plaintiffs’ reasonable and justified business expectations were substantially interfered with, compromised, and adversely impacted when Defendants herein transferred the public rights of way abutting and/or adjacent to the Las Vegas Strip into a 3.8-mile race track and apparently entered into contractual agreements to do so for up to an additional nine (9) years into the future,” the suit read.

The lawsuit tracks with the reports of several businesses—and even hotels—struggling with price increases as well as pedestrian and traffic blockages in the lead-up to the race.

The race itself wasn’t particularly compelling—Max Verstappen won, just as he did in 19 of the 22 races last year—but the weekend’s most memorable event on track happened in the usually uneventful practice session, when Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz drove over a loose drain cover that stopped the session.

Sainz, through no fault of his own, was handed a 10-place grid penalty because the team had to replace the car’s energy store, while the fans waited hours only to be sent home when the session was called off.

The drivers also spoke out about their dissatisfaction with the spectacle, as Verstappen called it “99% show,” while seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton called it a “circus.”

LVCVA Connected to WNBA Probe

The LVCVA is a government-funded agency that has promoted several Las Vegas sporting events, including the Super Bowl and last year’s race before it was an official partner. But the organization is embroiled in some hot water at the moment in another sport.

The WNBA’s Aces are under investigation after the LVCVA announced it would pay $100,000 to each of the team’s players for a partnership, which would be a violation of the league’s protocol if the team were involved in the negotiations.

The LVCVA is also taking some heat after multiple reports surfaced that the team has spent millions of taxpayer dollars on influencers, including $4 million worth of tickets for last year’s Grand Prix.

SPONSORED BY HEAD

Built for Picklers by Picklers

HEAD is a stickler for design and picklers on the court. So, developing a shoe specifically for pickleball players was a challenge it gladly accepted.

Introducing the first HEAD shoe designed solely for pickleball players—the Motion Pro Pickleball. Pickleball-specific tread along the outsole? Check. Curved last for increased reach around the non-volley zone, aka kitchen? Check. Lightweight and comfortable? Double check.

It’s not just the perfect fit for you; it’s the perfect fit for your game. Learn more.

ONE BIG FIG

They’re Back

Sam Greene/The Enquirer

12

The number of MLB clubs that will again be aired on Comcast systems after the No. 2 U.S. cable carrier finalized a new distribution agreement with Bally Sports parent company Diamond Sports Group. The pact, said last week to be close, confirmed a long-held expectation that Comcast would insist on placing Bally Sports channels on a premium-level tier to reach any deal—very similar to how it has treated other regional sports networks. Bally Sports channels will now be shown on Comcast’s more expensive “Ultimate” tier, effective Aug. 1.

The Comcast agreement gives DSG a further boost as it attempts to restructure and emerge from bankruptcy. The company is still working on potential agreements with the NBA and NHL, and while talks there continue, a confirmation hearing on DSG’s reorganization plan that had been slated for this week is on hold. For MLB, the return of the Comcast distribution will provide a lift to local television viewership that took a hit during the three-month carriage impasse.

The 12 MLB clubs: Angels, Braves, Brewers, Cardinals, Guardians, Marlins, Rangers, Rays, Reds, Royals, Tigers, and Twins.

THE FOS INTERVIEW

The WNBA’s Next Big Move

FOS illustration

Nadia Rawlinson, Chicago Sky co-owner and operating chairman, sits down with Front Office Sports reporter Margaret Fleming to discuss the team’s plans for a new $38 million practice facility and the growing wave of venue investments across the WNBA. Rawlinson delves into the strategic importance of the new center for the Sky’s future success and its impact on the broader WNBA landscape.

🎧 Watch more and subscribe to Front Office Sports on YouTube.

STATUS REPORT

Three Up, One Down

Maria Lysaker-USA TODAY Sports

FIFA ⬆ Formal bids for the 2030 and 2034 World Cup have been submitted as the organization’s officials met with representatives in Paris on Monday. FIFA received the bid from the three hosts of the 2030 World Cup: Spain, Portugal, and Morocco. Their bid also includes South American nations Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay, who will each host one of the 104 games. Saudi Arabia also submitted its bid for 2034, and it is the only candidate for those games. The confirmation of the bids is scheduled for Dec. 11.

Newcastle United ⬆ The Premier League club now has a valuation of $1.3 billion after its Saudi Arabian owners bought out the 6% stake of Amanda Staveley, according to Bloomberg. The Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia bought 80% of the team in 2021 for nearly $400 million, and it has since invested another estimated $330 million. In Forbes’ valuation report for soccer franchises in May, the club was valued at $795 million.

Texans ⬇ The NFL is investigating one of Houston’s minority owners, Javier Loya, for violating the league’s personal conduct policy, according to Bloomberg. Loya was charged with first-degree rape and sexual abuse after hosting poker parties in his home in Louisville in May 2022. The felony charges were dismissed in April, and Loya pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor for physical harassment, for which he paid a $100 fine. 

Reno ⬆ Alex Meruelo, the former owner of the now defunct Arizona Coyotes has a new billion-dollar idea. Despite several claims of his mismanagement that led to the downfall of the Coyotes, Meruelo said he’s looking to build a new 10,000-seat arena in Reno that will be the future home of the University of Nevada’s men’s basketball team. Meruelo said the arena will cost $1 billion and be funded purely through private investments.

SPONSORED BY 2K SPORTS

Revolutionizing Tennis Gaming for Next Gen

Get ready to experience the ultimate tennis showdown with TopSpin 2K25. This much-anticipated revival of the beloved TopSpin franchise has launched worldwide, offering an immersive and authentic tennis experience. 

Play as legends like Roger Federer and Serena Williams or current stars such as Jannik Sinner, Carlos Alcaraz, and Iga Świątek. With stunning Grand Slam® venues, customizable MyPLAYER features, and robust online play options, TopSpin 2K25 sets a new standard for realism and excitement in sports gaming. 

Visit the official TopSpin 2K25 site to learn more and follow @TopSpin2K on all platforms for the latest updates. Don’t miss out on the next revolution in tennis gaming.

Conversation Starters

  • The Bengals unveiled their renovated locker rooms, which include Bluetooth smart locks and circadian rhythm lighting. Take a look.
  • Allyson Felix, the seven-time Olympic gold medalist, partnered with Pampers to launch a nursery for athlete mothers at the Games. Check it out.
  • The U.S. women’s Rugby Sevens secured a bronze medal in the Paris Olympics with a buzzer-beating score to upset Australia. 

Editors’ Picks

Burrow, Goff, Jones Were Not on ‘White Dudes for Harris’ Call

by Alex Schiffer
A report inaccurately stated three NFL quarterbacks were on a Harris Zoom fundraiser.

‘The Best of the Best’: Scott Hanson’s ‘Gold Zone’ Scores at Paris Olympics

by Michael McCarthy
‘We will trim the fat off everything and bring you the best.’

Bella Hadid Apologizes for Olympic Ad: ‘Adidas Should Have Known’

by Amanda Christovich
Hadid blasted Adidas for the lack of research ahead of the campaign.
Advertise Awards Learning Events Video Shows
Written by Eric Fisher, Colin Salao
Edited by Matthew Tabeek, Or Moyal, Catherine Chen

If this email was forwarded to you, you can subscribe here.

Update your preferences / Unsubscribe

Copyright © 2024 Front Office Sports. All rights reserved.
460 Park Avenue South, 7th Floor, New York NY, 10016

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletters

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.