Read in Browser

Front Office Sports - The Memo

Morning Edition

February 19, 2026

POWERED BY

Baseball is dealing with major drama. The MLB Players Association’s executive director, Tony Clark, resigned Tuesday amid embarrassing circumstances. And at the same time, the union is heading into critical labor negotiations with team owners. Bruce Meyer, who was elected to be MLBPA’s interim executive director Wednesday night, insisted the union is just as strong and ready as before to enter talks.

—Eric Fisher

First Up

  • The International Olympic Committee has been particularly aggressive in getting content wiped off YouTube and social media platforms during the Winter Games in Italy. A spokesperson said “an automated system” monitors copyrighted content. Read the story.
  • The estate of Microsoft billionaire Paul Allen announced Wednesday it was selling the Seahawks, just 10 days after the team defeated the Patriots for the second Super Bowl title in franchise history. Read the story.
  • After reviving the All-Star Game with a USA vs. the World format, the NBA and NBC are now weighing changes to All-Star Saturday, including possibly adding a new event. Read the story.
  • The WNBPA submitted a counterproposal to the WNBA, seeking team-provided housing for all players in the first several years of the proposed CBA, in addition to a 25% share of total league revenue, averaging out to 27.5% over the life of the deal. Read the story.

MLBPA Elects Meyer As Interim Executive Director

Palm Beach Post

The MLB Players Association elevated deputy executive director Bruce Meyer to interim executive director, the union’s latest move as it looks to regain stability after the troubled departure of former leader Tony Clark.

Meyer, with the MLBPA and already a lead negotiating figure, will take over the union’s top day-to-day job in the wake of Clark’s exit. The MLBPA made that move official late Wednesday as Clark is under investigation for alleged financial mismanagement of licensing revenue, as well as an an inappropriate relationship with his sister-in-law, also a union employee.

The vote happened after players delayed making a decision Tuesday, after Clark resigned. The MLBPA also promoted general counsel Matt Nussbaum to interim deputy executive director. 

Meyer, 64, joined the union in 2018 and led its negotiations during the 2021-22 round of collective bargaining with MLB owners, operating through a 99-day management lockout before reaching a five-year agreement in March 2022. He’s known as a fierce advocate for players and someone not afraid to ruffle feathers.

Pushing Forward

The union, meanwhile, believes it’s just as strong, unified, and prepared as ever, despite heading into critical labor negotiations with MLB owners while in the midst of the massive and embarrassing leadership shift.

“I’m not going to say this is a great thing; this is unforeseen,” Meyer said. “At the end of the day, leadership is important and leadership comes and goes, but what remains is the players. Our union is strong and always has been strong because of the solidarity of our members, of our players. That is going to continue. … Anyone that underestimates the strength and solidarity of the MLBPA does so at their own peril.”

Meyer, however, acknowledged the difficult circumstances surrounding Clark. In addition to the interpersonal matters, Clark has been under federal investigation since last year by the Eastern District of New York, along with the organization itself, over complaints of alleged self-dealing and misuse of licensing money.

“Just on a personal level, I think we’re all fairly devastated by the things that have happened in the last 48, 72 hours,” Meyer said Wednesday about Clark. “I’m not going to go beyond that in terms of personal feelings. But again, it’s fair to say that we were all personally upset, concerned about Tony. But I think [the resignation] was something that the players determined had to happen at this particular point in time. We’ll move forward, and again, be as strong as we always were.”

Negotiating Matters 

As Meyer takes the reins, players are unquestionably entering a potentially industry-shaking labor negotiation with team owners. 

Both sides are pushing for big changes, and on the management side, calls are rising for a salary cap or a cap-like structure. The intent is to even out a situation where the Dodgers, the sport’s current two-time defending champion, are set to nearly quintuple the 2026 player payroll of MLB’s lowest spender, the Marlins.

The union, however, has firmly resisted salary caps for its entire six-decade existence, previously going through several prior work stoppages in part to fight against them. The MLBPA has long pointed to recent issues in cap-based systems in other major sports, such as frequent cap-driven roster cuts and contract restructurings in the NFL. Formal labor talks are expected to pick up shortly after Opening Day.

“Our position and the historic position of this union for decades on the salary cap is well known,” Meyer said. “It’s the ultimate restriction. It is something that owners in all the sports have wanted more than anything, and baseball in particular. There’s a reason for that: because it’s good for them and not good for players.”

SPONSORED BY TOYOTA

Greatness Moves Us

Advertisement

Toyota backs the journeys that shape athletes every day. From early-morning practices to road games and the long rides home, Toyota’s partnership with Team Toyota celebrates the dedication and belief that drive progress over time.

By supporting athletes like Erin Jackson, Jessie Diggins, and Andrew Kurka, Toyota highlights the commitment, momentum, and resilience required to compete at the highest levels—on and off the field of play.

Because every destination has a beginning.

ONE BIG FIG

Chief Savings

Jay Biggerstaff-Imagn Images

$43.6 million

The 2026 salary-cap savings for the Chiefs after another restructuring of the contract for star quarterback Patrick Mahomes. The fourth retooling of Mahomes’s contract in many years will reduce his previous 2026 cap hit from a whopping $78.2 million to a far more manageable $34.65 million. Even with the latest shift, however, Kansas City is still about $11 million over the top end of the NFL’s projected 2026 salary cap of between $301 million and $306 million—meaning more roster moves are coming.

SPONSORED BY TOYOTA

Greatness Moves Us

Advertisement

Toyota backs the journeys that shape athletes every day. From early-morning practices to road games and the long rides home, Toyota’s partnership with Team Toyota celebrates the dedication and belief that drive progress over time.

By supporting athletes like Erin Jackson, Jessie Diggins, and Andrew Kurka, Toyota highlights the commitment, momentum, and resilience required to compete at the highest levels—on and off the field of play.

Because every destination has a beginning.

Editors’ Picks

Red Sox Change Their Tune on Fanatics Jersey Issues

by Eric Fisher
The MLB club takes responsibility for a jersey design error.

Tennis’s Brutal Schedule Comes to a Head in Dubai As Dozens Drop Out

by Colin Salao
Some stars appear to have found a loophole in WTA rules.

John Fanta to Make ‘NBA on NBC Sports’ Play-by-Play Debut

by Ryan Glasspiegel
Fanta will be on the call for Wolves-Blazers on Tuesday.
Events Video Games Shop
Written by Eric Fisher
Edited by Lisa Scherzer, Catherine Chen

If this email was forwarded to you, you can subscribe here.

Update your preferences / Unsubscribe

Copyright © 2026 Front Office Sports. All rights reserved.
460 Park Avenue South, 7th Floor, New York NY, 10016

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletters

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.