Read in Browser

Front Office Sports - The Memo

Afternoon Edition

February 17, 2026

POWERED BY

Tony Clark is expected to step down as head of the MLBPA while under federal investigation, leaving the union scrambling just months before what could be a bruising fight with owners over a potential salary cap.

—Eric Fisher

First Up

  • Royals owner John Sherman said a long-awaited ballpark decision was nearing as he warned that “time is not our friend.” Read the story.
  • WBD said it granted CBS Sports parent Paramount seven days to make its “best and final” offer after receiving a limited waiver from Netflix. Read the story.
  • The mayor of L.A. said Casey Wasserman should quit leading the 2028 Olympics over his past ties to Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell. Read the story.
  • Netflix said it will stage its first MMA fight in May, featuring a comeback bout from Ronda Rousey and Gina Carano. Read the story.

Tony Clark Quitting As MLBPA Chief Amid Federal Investigation

Detroit Free Press

MLB Players Association executive director Tony Clark is expected to resign his position Tuesday, according to industry sources and multiple reports, a massive development as players enter a potentially industry-shaking labor negotiation with team owners this year.

Clark, the union’s day-to-day leader since 2013, has been under federal investigation since last year by the Eastern District of New York, along with the organization itself, over complaints of alleged self-dealing and misuse of licensing money.

The move arrives at a critical time as the current, five-year collective bargaining agreement with MLB expires Dec. 1. As a fiscal divide within the sport continues to grow, many owners are expected to pursue a salary cap, something the union has long resisted. A fractious set of talks is anticipated.

Clark was scheduled to be part of a customary preseason tour of spring training camps, but a planned stop Tuesday at the Guardians’ camp in Arizona was canceled.

The move places the MLBPA in a somewhat similar transition period as the NFL Players Association. That union also has an interim executive director, and though in the middle of a long-term labor agreement with the NFL, is facing rising pressure as a push grows for an 18-game regular season.

An announcement of an interim MLBPA executive director is expected very soon, with deputy executive director Bruce Meyer standing as the most obvious candidate. 

ESPN, meanwhile, reported Tuesday afternoon that an additional element surrounding Clark was an internal investigation that revealed an inappropriate relationship with his sister-in-law, hired by the union in 2023.

A Bumpy Tenure 

Clark, a former 15-year veteran who played for six MLB teams, initially brought a sense of stability after the tragic, cancer-related passing of his executive director predecessor, Michael Weiner, in November 2013. Clark’s tenure included new labor deals with team owners in 2016 and early 2022, the latter arriving after a 99-day management lockout that nearly ended MLB’s streak of not missing any games due to a labor dispute since 2015.

Recent years, however, have been much more internally disruptive as some players have grown frustrated over a perceived lack of gains, both in monetary and workplace-related matters. Two years ago, there was an unsuccessful insurgency for Clark to be replaced by Harry Marino, a former minor league player turned lawyer who helped unionize the affiliated minors. Clark, along with Meyer, survived that effort, but scars remained. 

More directly, though, the ongoing issue regarding the MLBPA’s involvement in OneTeam Partners has remained problematic. After a whistleblower complaint, federal authorities have been investigating claims of self-dealing, nepotism, misuse of union resources, and an abuse of power—including by Clark. 

What’s Next 

Active labor talks with MLB owners are expected to pick up after Opening Day late next month. Both sides are pushing for big changes, and on the management side, calls are rising for a salary cap or a cap-like structure. The intent is to even out a situation where the Dodgers, the sport’s current two-time defending champion, are set to nearly quintuple the 2026 player payroll of MLB’s lowest spender, the Marlins.

The union, however, has firmly resisted salary caps for its entire six-decade existence, previously going through several prior work stoppages in part to fight against them. The MLBPA has long pointed to recent issues in cap-based systems in other major sports, such as frequent cap-driven roster cuts and contract restructurings in the NFL.

“Those other situations enter every conversation we have when we educate players on what a salary-cap system is and what it isn’t,” Clark told Front Office Sports last summer. “It fundamentally erodes guaranteed contracts. It pits players directly against one another. … It is the opposite of what you often hear it described as.”

MLB declined to comment on Clark’s news, but regarding the forthcoming CBA talks, commissioner Rob Manfred said last week, “The only projection I can make, because we haven’t agreed on a calendar with the MLBPA, and it does take two to tango, as they say, is that historically after Opening Day, we kind of get started.”

Clark earned $3.41 million in 2024, according to a report filed with the U.S. Department of Labor. A new filing for the calendar year 2025 is expected soon.

SPONSORED BY BETMGM

USA-Canada Drive Hockey Betting

Olympic hockey is already generating massive betting momentum—and the action is centered on Teams USA and Canada. According to BetMGM data, the two North American rivals account for roughly 94% of total handle. Canada’s odds have shortened dramatically from +230 to +100, while Team USA has moved from +280 to +190.

USA leads in ticket count (56.7%), but Canada commands the majority of money wagered (61.6% of handle). With NHL players returning to Olympic play, and a potential gold-medal clash looming, the USA-Canada rivalry is shaping up to be one of the most bet-on events of the 2026 Winter Games.

Read the full Olympic Hockey Trend Report.

LOUD AND CLEAR

Big-Market Muscle

Brad Penner-Imagn Images

“They have the ability to spend. So do I, by the way.”

—Mets owner Steve Cohen on the Dodgers continuing to spend on their roster through signing Edwin Díaz and Kyle Tucker. Cohen is the richest owner in Major League Baseball and committed $247 million to players in free agency this offseason to revamp New York’s roster after the team missed the playoffs. He believes the Mets have “built a great team” and expects the team to be “really competitive this year.” Other highlights of his Monday media session included him saying the Mets will never have an official captain under his ownership and that he is still considering arguments for and against a salary cap.

STATUS REPORT

One Up, Two Down, One Push

Athit Perawongmetha-Reuters via Imagn Images

Vladyslav Heraskevych ⬆⬇ The skeleton racer received a gift of $200,000 from a Ukrainian businessman after being disqualified from the Olympics. Heraskevych was removed from competition for wearing a helmet that featured images of Ukrainian athletes and coaches who were killed during the war with Russia. The donation is equivalent to what a Ukrainian would receive if they were to win a gold medal and was made to ensure the racer has the necessary resources to continue competing in future events.

Heise family ⬆ Taylor Heise, a forward on the U.S. women’s hockey team, kicked off a big Monday for her family, scoring a goal against Sweden to help Team USA advance to the Olympic final. Later in the day, her brother Nate, a guard on the Iowa State men’s basketball team, hit the go-ahead three-pointer in the Cyclones’ 70–67 win over No. 2 Houston.

Highmark Stadium ⬇ Work on the Bills’ new stadium has been temporarily paused due to the discovery of graffiti at several places on the construction site. Gilbane-Turner, the construction managers working on the project, released a statement saying that a full investigation has been launched but did not say when construction will resume.

Sean Magee ⬇ Michigan is parting ways with its football general manager ahead of Kyle Whittingham’s first season with the Maize and Blue. Magee rejoined the Wolverines in 2024 as GM, after previously working for Jim Harbaugh at the university from 2017 to 2021. During his second stint in Ann Arbor, Magee played a key role in recruiting quarterback Bryce Underwood, who signed a $12.5 million NIL deal with Michigan.

SPONSORED BY WSC SPORTS

Inside YouTube’s Sports Strategy

“Off The Record with Andrew Marchand presented by WSC Sports” is an event series that features the biggest dealmakers in sports, talking about the future of sports media and technology in an intimate setting. Past guests have included Jimmy Pitaro, Rick Cordella, Gary Bettman, Jay Marine, Mark Shapiro, and Hans Schroeder.

Christian Oestlien, YouTube’s VP of subscription products, is the featured guest on Feb. 26 at 4 p.m. ET. In this closed-door conversation, Marchand will ask Oestlien about YouTube’s strategy in sports and how he looks at the future of video and AI.

The event is free and includes light appetizers and cocktails. Space is limited so signing up does not guarantee a spot. Request an invite here.

Editors’ Picks

Breanna Stewart Signs Turkey Deal With WNBA in Limbo

by Colin Salao
The WNBA season is scheduled to start May 8.

Kansas State Tries to Use Rant to Avoid Paying Coach $18M Buyout

by Colin Salao
Tang’s contract says he’s entitled to a $18.7 million buyout.

How Ski Mountaineering’s Hype Man Went From TikTok to NBC

by Margaret Fleming
Max Valverde’s gushing over the niche sport vaulted him to Olympic broadcaster.
DAILY TRIVIA

Factle Sports

Can you list the last five unique Naismith Women’s College Player of the Year Award winners?

PLAY NOW

Events Video Games Shop
Written by Eric Fisher
Edited by Matthew Tabeek, Catherine Chen

If this email was forwarded to you, you can subscribe here.

Update your preferences / Unsubscribe

Copyright © 2026 Front Office Sports. All rights reserved.
460 Park Avenue South, 7th Floor, New York NY, 10016

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletters

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.